Andy Nelson's Notes for the Howard Roberts Epiphone Guitar
Basic specifications for the Howard Roberts Model Epiphone Deluxe Electric
Intended retail price: Approx $600
Standard model: Approx $300
To be competitive with the Gibson ES 175
- Circumference - Basically a Triumph Model
- Top - carved spruce
- Bracing - X type
- Color - violin finish, honey color (satin finish) with optional standard
dark sunburst finish.
- Sides and Back - Dark Mahogany (gloss finish)
- Tail piece - standard Epiphone
- Bridge - 1st choice Ebony, 2nd choice - Rosewood
- Binding - white, black, white throughout
- Pickguard - with white binding
- Pickup - standard Epiphone type Humbucker
Must be sealed in black epoxy resin for two reasons:
a: unique appearance
b: to add mass and minimize microphonics
Also the heads of the adjustment screws should be slightly larger in
circumference. Also pickup epoxy should have to emulate binding or frame
Pickup to be countersunk approx 1/16" to 1/8" to top and bonded.
Two pickups optional.
- Control knobs - standard placement in lieu of improved control system
to be developed by Roberts ( as previously discussed.)
- Neck - laminated mahogany (a) with contoured heel (b) optional - in two
sizes, small and large antifatigue.
- Fingerboard - Ebony
- Postition marks - Crowns
- Frets - small Gibson type 22 up to D
- Scale - 24 3/4
- Nut Fret
- Peghead - Massive with new Epiphone cutout
- Pegs - round standard type.
- Scroll pearl - standard Epiphone Sheraton, or crown design
- Standard epiphone cover for rod